Sport is one of the few sectors experiencing economic growth globally. Basketball is the most growing sport worldwide. Basketball business management students will gain in-depth knowledge of business principles and how they are applied in this thriving industry, opening up a wide variety of career paths with a bright employment outlook.
Optional modules enable you to tailor your degree to suit your interests and personal career goals, whether they exist in marketing, sales, planning, sports events management, facility management or sport administration. Your placement will give you hands-on experience to acquire the skills that will help you stand out to potential employers and give you a competitive edge in the jobs market.
Careers exist with various organisations including professional sport clubs, sport governing bodies, health and leisure clubs, sport public agencies, sport community recreation departments, sporting goods companies, sport marketing agencies, sport events organisers and athletic service organisations.
Professional bachelor’s degree of business management (specialization – basketball business management) from IBU is organised and delivered in partnership with ALYTAUS KOLEGIJA University of Applied Sciences, will enable you to turn your passion for sport into an exciting career and our employability hub and careers service will be there to offer support and advice.
You will experience a dynamic blend of academic study, practical application, research, and hands-on experience via your placement. This balance of knowledge and practical skills is designed to prepare you for career success in this fast-paced and growing industry.
In your first year, you will be introduced to the components of sport business management and the impacts of sports policy, finance and economics on effective sport management. In your second year, you will develop project management skills and analyse the role of management for the successful organisation of sport. In the final year, you will investigate the roles of marketing and strategy in sport business management and undertake an extended piece of research.
Alongside the broad IBU modules, you will follow specific Basketball Business Management modules.
In year 1 you will be responsible for organising the promotion and running of a sports event. This will develop your commercial awareness and business skills.
Course Name & Type Professional bachelor’s degree of management (specialization – basketball business management)
State code: 6531LX004 (in partnership with Alytus College)
Study field: Management
Type of the study programme: higher education undergraduate college studies
Mode of studies (duration in years): full-time (3)
Volume of the study programme in credits: 180
Awarded diploma, degree and (or) professional qualification: Degree of professional Bachelor of Management (European Union High Education College diploma), Basketball coach licence (issued by Lithuanian basketball Coaches Association), IBU Diploma
Next Starting Date: 21 June 2019.
Specific Sport Management Modules Phase 1
• Introduction to Sport Management
• Who Runs Sport?
• Finance for Sport Management
• Sport Customer
• The Global Sports Industry and Media
• Introduction to Graduate Skills and Research Methods
Your second year of study is split into two halves. The first half is about learning the role of sport business management and preparing for your placement, while the second is based in a sport business organisation.
Specific Sport Business Management Modules Phase 2
• Understanding and Managing People in Sport Business
• Politics and Policy in Sport
• Reflective Practice in Sport Business Management
• Placement: Personal and Professional Development in Sport Business Management
• Placement: Management in Sport Business Organisations
Research Design and Evaluation
Your final year of study is based around the strategic implications of sport business management, including the investigation of marketing and strategy. You will have the opportunity to conduct research on a topic of your choice, based on the experience gained during your placement.
Specific Sport Business Management Modules in Phase 3
• Marketing for Sport Business
• Strategic Change in Sport Business Management
• The Law and Regulation of Sport
• Event Design
• Critical Issues in Sport and Leisure
• Community Sport Development: Policy and Practice
• Business Morality: People and Management
• Sport Tourism
• Sport, Values and Ideology: A Case Study of the Olympics
Entry Requirements – Bachelor Program
High School Diploma or final certificate, equivalent to the Netherlands HAVO or MBO level 4 diploma / UK AS & A Level or BTEC. Please contact the IBU Office to receive High School diploma comparisons. Advanced Placement / Credit Transfer Possible
Direct Entry to Final Year
Students with successful study experience equivalent to 160 European Credits in a related sport management field are able to enter directly into the Final year programme (80 credits). The examination and graduation board will decide on entry based on credit transcripts and qualifications presented.
English Language Requirements
Minimum Level for English Language Entry and Accepted English : B1
Each candidate language level will be evaluated during personal interview process.
General Admission Requirements
Foreign nationals can be admitted into the English taught study programme of the International Basketball University if they provide the legalized secondary school. Transcripts must be officially translated into English.
The recommended English language skills for degree students at the start of their study period are B1 (it is not applicable for the applicants whose education is acquired in English or native language is English). Each applicant language level will be evaluated during personal interview process.
Documents to be attached when applying on line:
- Application Form;
- Copy of the passport or ID card;
- One recent passport size photo (3x4cm.);
- Copies of the documents of previous education and its supplements (Transcripts of Records/Mark Sheets) in original language and translated into English (a secondary school certificate) certified by Notary and approved by an Apostille;
- Recognition document of foreign qualifications issued by the Lithuanian Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education(SKVC is a national public agency that evaluates and recognizes foreign school-leaving certificates. More details: http://www.skvc.lt/default/en/60/apply/documentation_requirements);
- Complete Health Certificate translated in English;
- Copy of the proof of payment of the application fee (non-refundable);